QUE HUBO de MeXiCo?!?!? Mi nombre es Alison. Me gusta tacos y salsa y la playa y Electric Lemonade y Tom Collins. I think that means WUT UP from Mexico? My name is Alison. I like tacos, salsa, the beach, Electric Lemonade and Tom Collins. When I say “Tom Collins,” I mean the drink – not the actual man. Duh.
I’m with my man, Dan in Mexico, and I wrote 90% of this before we left. Go me. Preparation for the win. I didn’t want to leave y’all hanging on Monday. Where would all three of you who actually read this get your #mondaymotivation?
Vacations are tricky. There are a lot of opportunities to make bad health decisions…especially at an all inclusive resort where the food and drinks never stop. Nice ladies and gentleman (señoritas and señors) have constantmy offered our favorite food and drinks for the past 24 hours. And they’re just so kind and cute and fun to talk to, so you feel bad for saying no.
I care about feeling good while I’m here, and I have goals, yo. A vacation shouldn’t deter me from those goals.
BUT on the other hand, we look forward to this all year (literally since last trip 🙂 And I also like to live a little. And we do go pretty hard on vacation. And when I say “go hard”…..I mean, for our standards…Which I know is definitely not up to par with most of the other gringos y gringas I see around me.
In a nutshell… Good food and drink choices should be important no matter where you’re at. Once you make it a *lifestyle* to not stress about food and drinks, but to make it a daily, easy choice to live well and consume that which makes you feel good about yourself 90-ish% of the time, it can feel weird to let loose a little. But you have to live a little too. Sooo what do you do?? Tell me that.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Have a plan going in to your vacation (based on your goals). Are you going to workout while you’re there? What kind of food are you going to eat? Having a plan will most likely keep you on track because you’ve already thought about the decisions you’re going to make.And when it comes to workouts… No judgement here because everyone has different goals. I’m a weirdo, but I overthink workouts sometimes. Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes just to figure out what to do. Nobody has time for that on vacay. But this time around, I was prepared. I don’t want to waste time figuring out WHAT to do, so I made a folder in instagram of workouts I’ve found online that I can do. I know, I know, I’m a dork. BUT I’m looking for quick, effective, and under 30 minutes…just something to make me sweat and move. A good place to look for these kinds of workouts is AMRAP Mentality on Insta. It’s Jason Khalipa’s page, and I’m pretty sure it used to be called EMOM something… I dunno. I linked it for you! This morning, I ran a little bit, did some hill work on the treadmill(which kicked my butt by the way) and then did a workout from AMRAP Mentality. It was 100 dumbbell thrusters for time at 25 lb/each hand, with every minute on the minute, you do 4 burpees. SO, all of that, in and out of the gym in 30 minutes. Daniel came with me and did something from his Chris Hinshaw running program thing on the treadmill. And he finished around the same time I did. Cute, right?
- Next, Find a “balance” FOR YOU. Your “balance” isn’t going to look the same as everyone else’s “balance.” And what I mean by this is… you’re on VACATION sooo live a little. Do things, eat things, and drink things you wouldn’t normally do, eat, or drink. If you care about your health and make good choices year round, then maybe you can live a little for a five day vacation. BUT that doesn’t mean you have to go overboard and throw everything you’ve worked for out the window. Balance on vacation for me means I’m still only going to eat when I’m hungry. But you better believe I’m going to eat the best of the best breakfast buffets- with alllll the freshest foods, including churros and personalized omelettes. And you better believe that I’m going to take advantage of the drink options here. BUT that doesn’t mean that I’m going to overdo it. And it doesn’t mean that every drink is going to be sugar filled.
- You can still stay active on vacation. As in, you can still get your butt up and workout. Or if you’re taking some time away from that, that’s cool. No judgement here. Sometimes taking time away from the gym, or any serious working out is good for you. But you can still try to live a non sedentary lifestyle while on vacation. Go walk. Explore. If you’re at a resort that has games like beach volleyball or soccer, or water aerobics, do it! Do the kinds of fitness you wouldn’t usually do back home in a gym. I personally can’t sit still for long (you prob already knew that) so I’ve convinced Daniel to walk this beautiful beach with me every day, and I’m all about some beach volleyball because we don’t ever get to do that back home. Today we had a couple of games of beach volleyball with a big group of people. It was a little more serious and intense than I would have liked. Apparently people here (staff and vacationers) are pretty good at volleyball…and competitive…so I had to keep up my AGame.
- Drink plenty of water! Like fresh fruit and veggies, It also helps keep things running smoothly. It also keeps you feeling great. In fact, it can keep you well and not near death – speaking from experience as the girl who passed out on her honeymoon and had to have and IV in Jamaica 7 years ago. Water always makes you feel better, and it sometimes gets neglected on vacation. Also, I brought some of those electrolyte packets (the same people that make emergenC) and I put some in our water this morning. It doesn’t matter if you’re drinking alcohol or not, if you’re in Cancun, you’re gonna sweat a little more, so anything to stay extra hydrated!
- Don’t beat yourself up for eating things you normally wouldn’t. I used to do this, but now I just take advantage of the time here and know that when I get back, I will do what I need to in order to make sure my lifestyle is healthy and where it needs to be to see results I want to see. This doesn’t mean I have to go back for seconds, or eat until I need to be rolled out of the restaurant. BUT IF I WANT A CREPE with Nutella and strawberries, I’ma have a crepe with Nutella and strawberries.
That’s all I’ve got. Have a great week!! Next week I’ll post my workouts I did while we were in this beautiful country (Not that they are impressive or anything, but if you’ve got a vacation coming up soon, maybe it will give you a good idea of a quick workout or two you can tackle in the midst of your fun/debauchery/relaxation).
ADIOS AMIGOS. DIOS TE BENDIGA.
(BYE FRIENDS. GOD BLESS YOU).