Well, this week has flown by. And I’m ok with that. I have a pretty great life, but this week has been a little “blah”, I suppose. If I can just be real. I’m always tryin’ to shoot you straight. I’ll spare you from all the boring – (really, not bad at all details) – but I’m glad it’s almost the weekend. A positive though….that picture on Pinnacle Mountain – the one I asked the 12 year old boy to take of me for Born Primitive? Yeah, I won 3rd place for that. So moral of that story: Sometimes you just have to push through the awkwardness and throw yourself out there. You never know…maybe you’ll win something. I’m the most awkward when it comes to these kind of things. But I’ve grown a lot in that in 2016. Hence, this whole blog endeavor.
You know what I am thankful for? Buffalo dip. Except I don’t really eat these kinda things anymore. If I did, it would probably make me sick. Like, I can’t even remember the last time I ate it. Oh, actually I can. It was the Superbowl party this past year. Someone made it. I ate it. I got sick for like 2 days. So, point proven. But sometimes I like to make recipes that are close to ones I can’t have, and I just pretend that I’m eating the real deal.
So, I wanted to share this with you really fast. I made it tonight for Daniel and I. I don’t buy ground chicken a lot. I don’t think about it a lot, and I’d probably rather have some good ground beef or ground turkey, if we’re talking about ground meat. Ground chicken is a little dry. BUT yesterday at the grocery store, the nice meat man from Ingles gave me a lb. of ground chicken for less than $2. As I walked by, he asked me if I wanted ground chicken – like it was my destiny to make this recipe, or something. He put an orange sticker on it that said $1 something. I don’t say no to a good deal. So, I immediately thought of Daniel and PaleOMG Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf. I’ve talked about PaleOMG on here a few times. She has some good stuff. She’s funny to follow on snapchat too, if you want a good laugh every now and then: (paleomg).
Don’t be fooled by the meatloaf part. Meatloaf has always been a tricky word for me. I’m not a fan of the word meatloaf. And I’m a little scared of it. BUT THIS LOAF of MEAT is different.
Here’s why I love this recipe:
- It’s easy. I love recipes where all you have to do is mix all the ingredients together.
- You can prep it in the morning, and throw it in the oven when you get home from work, or the gym, or whatever it is you do.
- It tastes like buffalo dip to me, except theres no ranch or blue cheese or fake chicken in it.
Here’s how we modify it:
- I’m weird when it comes to onions. I can handle them sometimes, but in this recipe, they make me gag. But Daniel loves them, so I put onions on his side.
- I’m actually not a fan of celery. It’s pointless, if you ask me. So, we don’t add that.
- We didn’t have any cayenne pepper ( I thought we did), so I just threw some chili powder in there instead. I dunno….tasted the same to me.
Other things to think about:
- Yeah, buffalo sauce has a good bit of sodium, but it only calls for 3-4 tbsp for the entire thing. Obviously, find an alternative if you’re on an extremely low sodium diet. But for the average person, you’ll be just fine ma’am.
- Between the chicken and egg, it’s packed with a good bit of protein. It’s more filling than it looks.
Don’t be scared to modify recipes to fit your needs and/or personal preferences.